Wednesday 24 April 2013

Musically Speaking.



Hello!
    So woke up this morning to the music of John Powell who happens to be one of my most favourite composers. As a rule I have only 6 major genres of music I listen to; Pure Classical, Jazz, Old School, Rock, Movie Soundtracks and the 6th is two artistes from my country I classify under the Juju music genre: King Sunny Ade and Commander Ebenezer Obey. What goes for music these days could kill an elephant and being a mild Misophoniac, I am easily disturbed by discordant tunes, poorly-arranged music or poor sound mixing. Along with several irritations misophonia sufferers have to bear, well, life is good.*smiles*. We shall leave the irritations for another day.
   John Powell has my respect. So many movies seen today bear his trademark compositions. After hours of listening to some of the best music ever written by anyone, I just concluded he had a special fondness for wind instruments especially trumpet. Yep, noticed a lot of trumpets in most of his compositions and really, they blow me away. Pun intended (Listening to the scores from all the Ice Age Movies will tell you what I already know, heaven forbid wind and strings should stop working in the world at anytime, I’ll just fold up and cry until I dry up..lol) Right along with him in my list of fav composers is Michael Giacchino whom I just recently discovered a fondness for after “Shazam-ing” the End Creditouilles from the Disney Film “Ratatouillle” ( Thanks to the folks at Nokia for such a lovely useful app and the folks at Disney for fabulous movies. I’m a huge fan of both companies; they always have such great stuff to give.)
   Given the way and manner Naija’s music is, I must probably be one of the few people of my age and generation who chooses not to listen to it. While I respect some, I do not hold any liking for the majority because I consider them musically inept (my own opinion ooo! If you take it personal, that’s your problem). Remove the beat or mix or whatever, you’re left with very little to stimulate your musical appetite.  Let me not start on what irritates me about their music, some of them are really trying and I  give that grudgingly. Still not satisfied though b’cos I believe they can do better.
    Recently I just discovered the pleasure of another genre, Latin Samba, in the person of Carlinhos Brown. Anyone who has ever watched the movie “Rio” will agree that its musical arrangements are absolutely fantastic (and why not? My beloved John Powell scored it). Carlinhos Brown has really proved to be an absolute pleasure to listen to. I hardly start my day without listening to Clima Quente or O Bode, both being my absolute favourite of his songs. Need I say more?  I’m a new convert.
 Ok, I have no idea why I should be talking about my music this early but hey, what do we do when we feel down or blue? We curl up in a corner and listen to our favourite music. I can’t complain, I have several favourites so I guess you could say I’m blessed.
   Now listening to Toshiro Masuda’s piece for piano “Grief and Sorrow” written for Naruto. There is always something heartbreaking and emotional about Naruto scenes and I love Toshiro’s music. Too many favourites to choose from, hope I’m not overdosing. Good music can be quite addictive..lol.
(Deepest respect to Jerry Goldsmith, whose musical scoring I first fell in love with. Rest in peace wherever you are Jerry)
   I know you have your own favourites too. Why not comment and tell me all about it and who knows? I could grow to like some of yours, you could grow to like some of mine and we can all go on liking ourselves, it’s all about keeping an open mind. Makes the world go round I tell you. (I’m a sucker for new stuff..hahahaa!!)
Have a beautiful day or night wherever you are in the world.

Ifeoluwa..
(Maybe one day I’ll just write a post listing all my favourite composers. The list keeps increasing daily. Seriously a world without music is a dead one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

Instagram